Posted on Wednesday, 5th May 2010 by Grace Massa Langlois
My search for the best Gourmet Cupcake for my niece’s bridal shower led me to these amazing Lemon-Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes and the recipe incorporates the most luscious Lemon Curd .
We’ve been very lucky this year; strawberries have been in abundance at the markets. Most of the berries are coming in from California and the strawberries have been especially sweet, juicy and flavourful. I am still looking forward to Ontario berry season but I am more than happy to indulge in these berries until then.
Last summer I decided to start canning and this gourmet cupcake recipe allowed me to feature my homemade strawberry jam. The homemade strawberry jam provided sweetness and it also screamed freshness.
I must say this is one of the best cupcakes I have ever tasted. This cupcake recipe combines four layers of absolute goodness; a lemony cookie base; a velvety, sweet strawberry cheesecake layer; a tangy, buttery lemon curd; and the final tease; a California sweet, juicy, red jewel. If these textures and flavours don’t have your taste buds singing I don’t know what will!
Plans for the bridal shower are coming along; I will be busy baking cookies for the next little while. I have some favourites that I will bake again but I am also hoping to find some new recipes to adorn the Italian cookie tray.
I think I have finally narrowed down which flowers we will be using for the centrepieces. Liana will snap some photos at V’s shower so we can share the special day. Our cookie table always looks so beautiful with so many different varieties of cookies. I am hoping to find the perfect stock paper for the menus, I want something with an embossed border and it needs to be white.
We are off to Oshawa this weekend for my great nephew’s (Luke) baptism. I’ll be taking a break from the kitchen for some much needed cuddling time. I love babies!
I have now tested three cupcake recipes; Lemon-Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes, Orange Cupcakes, Deep-Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes and I have one last recipe to test – Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes. I think choosing between the four is going to be more difficult than I anticipated!
Lemon-Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
(from Food and Drink)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 ounces (75 g) lemon social tea biscuits (1/4 pkg)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 pkgs (250 g each) regular cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra fruit strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 cup (175 to 250 ml) lemon curd, homemade or purchased
- 6 perfect fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Line muffin cups with papers or silicone cups. Place eggs in a small bowl; cover with hot tap water to temper. Set aside.
- Whirl biscuits in food processor until fine crumbs, makes about 1 cup (250 ml). Whirl in melted butter until evenly coated. Dividing equally, firmly press crumbs into bottoms of cups.
- Wipe out food processor bowl. Add cream cheese, eggs, jam, sugar and vanilla; whirl until combined. Spoon into cups; level tops by tapping muffin tin on countertop a few times. Bake 20 minutes or until just set and small cracks are visible in some cakes. Cool on a rack. Then cover and refrigerate until chilled or up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, top each cupcake with a dollop of lemon curd. Leaving green top intact, cut each berry in half lengthwise. Arrange decoratively on curd.
Makes 12 cupcakes
(from Food and Drink)
- 3 to 4 large lemons – 3/4 cup (175 ml) lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- Using 3 to 4 lemons, squeeze 3/4 cup (175 ml) juice. Stir 3 eggs with sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk in juice; add butter.
- Whisk constantly over medium to medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens. Do not boil!
- Remove from heat; place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on surface of curd. Cool until barely warm. Leftover curd keeps well, covered, and refrigerated for a week or more, and can be frozen for months.
You may also enjoy:
Tags: after school treat, afternoon tea, cake, cakes, cheesecake, cheesecake cupcakes, cream cheese, cupcakes, dessert, fruit, gourmet cupcakes, individual dessert, lemon curd, mini cakes, small cakes, strawberries, Summer desserts
Posted in Baking & Pastry, Baking Mise en Place, Custards, Creams & Mousses, Fillings, Frostings & Dessert Sauces, Recipes