Posted by Grace Massa Langlois on Friday, 5th November 2010
Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl Chocolate Brownies takes two of my weaknesses, Chocolate Brownies and Cheesecake and rolls them into one amazing dessert and both are given a flavour boost with the addition of Baileys® Irish Cream.
What should have been a very simple dessert took me forever, actually seemed like hours. I’ve learned and mastered many techniques since beginning my journey into baking and desserts but for some reason mastering the art of a cheesecake swirl isn’t one of them.
These chocolate fudge brownies have double the chocolate goodness by way of the cocoa and the melted chocolate; both together provide a very deep rich chocolate flavour.
The cheesecake filling couldn’t be easier to make, put all the ingredients in the food processor and blitz until smooth. The cheesecake batter was so thick, yet when stealing a spoonful, it was so light and creamy.
Do you remember when you were a little kid and you were waiting patiently for your Mom to ask, “Who wants to lick the spoon?” Making these cheesecake brownies took me right back to that moment. Adding the Baileys® kicked these brownies up a notch and I couldn’t help but do quite a bit of taste testing. My daughter, Liana, was quick to point out there wouldn’t be enough batter if I didn’t stop stealing a taste here and there (lock me up, I just couldn’t resist!).
The one thing I regret when making these small little packages of pure indulgence, answering the phone in the last few minutes of baking. Those last few minutes in the brownie baking cycle are so critical, you don’t want that cake tester inserted in the centre to come out clean and rob your brownies from ooey gooey goodness.
Although I faced a couple of challenges when making these incredible Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl Chocolate Brownies nothing can replace the experience of taking the first bite into creamy chocolate heaven.
Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl Chocolate Brownies
(Adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 51)
- Baileys® Chocolate Brownies
- Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl
Baileys® Chocolate Brownies
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 1¾ cups (300 g) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups (200 g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1/3 cup (35 g) cocoa, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Baileys® Irish Cream
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F). Lightly grease a 22 cm (9 inch) square baking tin and line with non-stick baking paper; set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate and butter have melted and mixture is smooth.
- Place the chocolate mixture, sugar, and eggs in a medium size bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt and whisk until smooth.
- Add Baileys® Irish Cream and whisk to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking tin. Set aside.
Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl
- 250 g cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup (75 g) caster (superfine granules) sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Baileys® Irish Cream
- Place the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and Baileys® Irish Cream in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
To Assemble Baileys® Cheesecake Swirl Chocolate Brownies:
- Place large spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and, using a butter knife, swirl to partially combine.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until set (do not over-bake).
Tags: after school treat, afternoon tea, brownies, cake, cakes, cheesecake, cheesecake squares, chocolate, chocolate brownies, chocolate dessert, chocolate desserts, chocolate recipes, cookie bars, cream cheese, dessert, desserts, desserts for entertaining, Donna Hay recipes, entertaining, food, food photography, food photos, individual dessert, individual desserts, quick desserts, white chocolate
Posted in Baking & Pastry, Baking Mise en Place, Basics, Biscotti, Cakes & Cheesecakes, Cookies, Custards, Creams & Mousses, Fillings, Frostings & Dessert Sauces, Mini Desserts, Pasticcini, Pastries, Pastry Doughs & Batter, Piccola Pasticceria, Recipes, Ricette di Base, Torte